2.8.16 – Volunteer with Librarians Without Borders in Guatemala
Sarah P’s comments: LWB is an American-based organization which has existed since 2005. Their goal is ‘to build sustainable libraries and support their custodians and advocates — librarians’ and every year they organize a volunteer trip.
Service Trip Description
Every Spring since 2010 LWB travels to the Miguel Angel Asturias Academy in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala to execute our remote work on the ground, to discuss emerging needs with our partners, and to re-connect with the students and school staff. We invite you to join us and work alongside us this year from April 22 to May 2, 2016.
This year’s work at the Academy will include ongoing collection management activities (cataloguing, processing, and organizing materials) and information literacy/outreach programming for students and teachers. LWB works with Asturias to also provide opportunities for trip participants to engage in activities that will help nurture a comprehensive understanding of libraries, education and culture in Guatemala. Typically trip participants are also given the opportunity to help finalize the last weekend activity (for example, visit scenic Lake Atitlán or trek to one of Guatemala’s volcanic peaks).
- Continued support of ILS implementation and lending system at the Asturias Academy through collection management support.
- Information literacy and outreach programming targeting all students and levels through multi-day library events.
- Professional development workshops for teachers supporting library integration into the curriculum.
Housing and Food
While in Quetzaltenango (Xela), participants will stay and eat most of their meals at the COFA Catholic Retreat Centre. On the weekends meals are eaten with a local family or at local restaurants. Vegetarian options will be available.
All trip volunteers are expected to:
- Attend online meetings (3-4) to discuss projects and receive training on the Asturias Library and the local community context. These meetings are mandatory for all volunteers.
- Join and contribute to a working team before the trip.
- Participate in pre-and post-trip assessments (e.g. evaluation surveys).
The program fee is $1500 CAD* (= ~$1080 USD) for 11 days. This total covers lodging, food, transportation and entrance to all activities within Guatemala, as well as a fundraising fee to support LWB’s Guatemalan programs. Trip participants are responsible for paying their own airfare to and from Guatemala.
There is a $500 CAD non-refundable deposit due by all accepted applicants by March 3. The remainder of the fees ($1000 CAD) can be paid at the same time or by March 10*.
In addition, all trip participants are expected to bring extra spending money for additional purchases such as souvenirs and snacks, as well as occasional meals in Guatemala ($50-100 is adequate).
- Guatemala Information Meeting (online) – February 9
- Application Deadline – February 23
- Successful applicants selected and notified – February 29
- $500 CAD* non-refundable deposit due – March 3
- $1000 CAD* (remainder of program fees) – March 10
*Note: The $1500 CAD may be revised to a new final figure if a significant change in exchange rate occurs. This information would be published by March 3.
How to apply: Submit a completed Volunteer Application to email@example.com by February 23. Thank you!