3/18/15 – Managing Editor ACI Blog Index (Virtual)
ACI, Newstex LLC, Washington, DC, USA
The key aspects of the Managing Editor are managing the research team, determining subject coverage and reviewing Library of Congress Classifications for accuracy, and enforcing editorial and product policies and guidelines ensuring data quality, recruiting new researchers..
The ACI Blog Index is a collection of editorially created abstracts of scholarly and authoritative blogs articles from experts in all fields of science, social sciences, and the humanities. The Index is published by Newstex, LLC, the leading provider of full-text authoritative content (news, blogs, Twitter tweets, videos, etc.) for syndication to the academic, financial, corporate, and government markets.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Manage a virtual team of web researchers, many of whom are librarians and subject matter experts, as they select scholarly blogs and add metadata, including LC Class, for inclusion in the ACI Blog Index.
- Determine subject coverage by LC Classification and focus researchers on growing fields of science, the humanities, and the social sciences. Reassign subject areas for the researchers when they exhaust a topic.
- Enforce editorial and product policies ensuring editorial policies are being followed and content quality is maintained.
- Review researcher’s work for accuracy and editorial quality,
- Train and coach researchers on process and guidelines for building the ACI blog collection.
- Recruit new researchers based on subject needs of the project, train and coach.
- Analyze the collection periodically for pertinent bibliometrics.
- Schedule regular meetings to keep the researchers informed of schedules, progress, policies, and quality issues.
- Strong academic background and subject expertise.
- Subject expertise and demonstrated understanding of the academic market and the professional motivations and concerns of faculty and authors in academia.
- Strong editorial skills; knowledgeable about grammar, editorial consistency, experience assigning subject categories and Library of Congress Classifications to scholarly blogs.
- Knowledgeable about the Internet and scholarly publishing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library discovery services and systems, and their value and role within an academic library.
- Library degree from an ALA-accredited library school if a librarian; PhD from an accreditated institution..
- Management experience. Experience managing remote teams a plus.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Applicants must use their own hardware (computer, telephone, Internet connection, etc.) Internal and external communications are through Newstex proprietary systems and Google productivity tools, which will be provided.
- Independent worker who requires minimum daily supervision.
Who is Newstex?
Newstex LLC editorially selects Authoritative Content producers from offline and online sources (including thousands of top newspapers, publications, experts, professionals, government officials, companies, and more), enhances that content to make it easier to find relevant information, and delivers that content through respected content distributors and mobile applications to end-users in professional fields such as academia, journalism, business, law, and government. Newstex provides content from leading news organizations, top bogs, respected video productions, and popular Twitter publishers.