3/17/15 – Director, Library Services
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM), St. Kitts, Caribbean
Sarah P’s comments: If you search my blog with the keyword ‘veterinary’ you will see see this position has been previously advertised in Feb, March, September & November of 2014. I am not sure whether the position has not been filled or whether someone changed their mind about coming which does happen. Of the Caribbean medical schools, Ross is one of the oldest (1982) and, though student reviews are mixed, seems to enjoy a fairly good reputation. If you have health sciences or medical library experience, here is a chance to become a Director in a unique location. Note: in 2014 there were seven medical library positions advertised in the Caribbean. While there is turnover due to salaries not being the highest I believe this also points to a shortage of traveling qualified medical librarians (which I know to be true in the Middle East). Here is some more info if you are interested:
High Debt and Falling Demand Traps New Vets – 2013 article which includes information about Ross.
Ross Student Life YouTube Video
Glassdoor Reviews – (unclear whether these were for positions at HQ in NJ or on St. Kitts)
Ross Receives US Accreditation – 2011 article
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers a unique program of training on the island of St. Kitts in the Caribbean. A cutting-edge curriculum, with innovative use of technologies and simulations, provides the best possible training for tomorrow’s veterinarians. Students benefit from seven semesters of integrated preclinical and clinical studies at the St Kitts campus followed by one year of clinical training at one of our affiliate veterinary teaching hospitals in the United States and Canada.
Reporting to the Director of Academic Technology, the person is responsible for operations of the 6 person library at the Veterinary School in St. Kitts. The Director will be responsible for establishing and meeting goals and objectives for the future of the library as an information center, making sure that these goals are coordinated with the goals of the institution. Broadly, this includes determining what services are needed, how to provide them, and how to support them. Specifically the Director will oversee planning and organization, policy creation and implementation, provision and updating of information resources, instruction in the use of library resources, and library staff training and development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director will manage the affairs of the library with service to students, faculty, and staff as the top priority. The director will be responsible for making sure that the library runs smoothly, all necessary resources are available and properly organized, and that users know how to use the resources, and to ensure that all library policies reflect the best interests of the users, and that the physical facility is clean, comfortable and conducive to research and study.
In addition, the director of library services will:
- Align the library mission and goals with those of the institution and provide the leadership, planning, development and evaluation of library services in support of those goals.
- Support research at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Develop the library’s collection of books, journals and online resources to meet the academic and research needs of both students and faculty.
- Administrate the library’s annual budget and monitor expenditures.
- Manage library services, resources, and personnel.
- Mange library journal and online database subscriptions, including renewals, inventories and vendors.
- Participate in strategic planning, developing new initiatives and setting priorities.
- Serve as an advocate and subject matter expert for the library and health sciences librarianship and advance the profession through engagement with appropriate organizations and societies, including other Ross University and DeVry Inc. libraries.
- Facilitate an increasing adoption of electronic resources.
- Provision of library instruction: Instruct faculty and students in research and evidence based medicine, the hierarchy of research and how to use and evaluate information.
- Work with academic deans to design library research assignments in support of the curriculum
- Must have thorough knowledge of library practices and procedures
Required knowledge, skills and education include Master’s Degree / MLS from ALA accredited school, thorough knowledge and experience with library practices and procedures and excellent prioritization skills. Qualified candidates will possess strong service orientation and excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to plan and evaluate library services and knowledge of emerging trends in library and information fields. The selected candidate will have the ability and experience to manage support services for academic and research environment with customers that include students, faculty and researchers and preferred candidates will bring senior administrative experience in an academic medical library, including supervisory experience.
Relocation assistance and a comprehensive benefits and competitive salary await the right candidate. Apply online by submitting CV and letter of intent www.rossu.edu/careers and search for Director, Library Services in St. Kitts.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
|Online App. Form:||https://rossvet-devry.icims.com/jobs/60310/job?in_iframe=1?mode=apply&iis=J ob+Posting:+HigherEdJobs&iisn=|