4.26.17 – School Librarian
American School Foundation of Chiapas, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Mexico
Sarah P’s comments: It is interesting that this job is posted on Idealist, a place I usually check for volunteer positions. Probably because the pay is low (11,000 MXN: $575 US) but if you are still searching for a school job it is getting late in the season and this school has okay reviews, includes housing, and will give you IB experience.
The American School Foundation of Chiapas (ASFC) is a 25-year-old well-established private IB World School with an ambitious future-thinking plan that incorporates STEAM, sustainability, global citizenship and a commitment to experiential and service learning practices that take advantage of Chiapas’ and Mexico’s rich cultural, anthropological, geographic and ecological diversity.
We are expanding our IB program into the Upper School as part of a drive for excellence with the goal to become the premier international dual language school in the southern Mexico-Central American region. Our school is located in Chiapas, Mexico’s southernmost state and the one with the largest native population. Chiapas is rich in biological and anthropological diversity, with colonial towns, indigenous villages and Mayan ruins, extraordinary mountain ranges,and the largest tropical rainforest in the region. Tuxtla Gutierrez, the capital of Chiapas, is a safe and fast-growing city of 500,000 with amenities such as malls, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. where you can enjoy sunny skies and warm weather year-round.
At ASFC we are looking for a full-time librarian and media specialist who is interested in joining a collaborative pedagogical team and supporting the development of literacy skills in both English and Spanish. We seek passionate educators who will inspire a love for learning and spark the intellectual curiosity of all our students. Ideal candidates are knowledgeable and smart teachers, who have strong collaboration skills, are flexible and enjoy innovation. We value teachers who build student-centered classrooms where students are actively engaged in their learning process and are encouraged to grow as independent, respectful, responsible, and active citizens. A growth mindset, grit, and the ability to use feedback and self-reflection to improve are essential characteristics of all the ASFC’s educators.
* Provide faculty and students with the guidance and resources needed to support a high level of teaching and learning
* Promote a love for reading and dual-language literacy efforts across our school community!
* Maintain our library collection (circulation, curation, and weeding)
* Supervise and maintain a library space that promotes learning, creativity, inquiry, and the ten attributes of the IB Learner Profile
* Develop and implement Library policies and procedures
* Provide guidance and reference services to faculty and students
* Provide instruction in research skills and the use of information sources
* Model and teach the ethical use of all sources of information (intellectual property)
* Create books displays and bulletin boards to support school themes and extended learning
* Plan and lead educational field trips and service learning experiences
* Employ a positive approach to discipline (Responsive Classroom)
* Participate in all required meetings as well as Professional Development opportunities throughout the school year
* Other responsibilities to be defined by the Head of School and the Academic Leadership Team
How To Apply
Letter to email@example.com. Please indicate your name and the career opportunity your applying for in the subject line of your email.
Your Cover Letter should explain your qualifications for the position, philosophy of education and why would you like to join our school and live in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas. Kindly include the name of the website where you found our advertisement.
Finalists residing in Tuxtla Gutierrez will be invited for an in-person interview and demo lesson. Finalist living abroad will be asked to submit a short (15-20 minutes) teaching video.
For additional information, please visit www.americanschool.edu.mx
of living in the State of Chiapas
* Fully furnished individual or shared apartment in a complex located in a safe, private small community located on school
premises (includes free internet, swimming pool, and other amenities)